Blues left to rue catalogue of missed chances

Old Harrovians 1st XI
0 : 2
Old Westminsters 1st XI
  • November 19th 2022, Philathletic Ground, 10:30am
  • Division 1
  • Referee: Errol Barnett
  • Weather: Cloudy
  • Pitch: Excellent
No. Starting XI Goals Yellow & Red Cards Subs On/Off
1 Tom Mitchell
2 Kyri Pittalis
3 Cassius Kidston
4 Will Swan
5 Ed Corswarem
6 Jamie Jordache 45'
7 Murray Barr
8 George Taylor
9 Will Payne
10 Ollie Atkinson
11 Ciaran Jordan
12 Charlie Marlow-Thomas 45'

The OHAFC 1st XI were left ruing a string of missed chances as they fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at home to the Old Westminsters on Harrow Hill on Saturday morning. The Blues created numerous scoring opportunities throughout the encounter, but spurned them all, including a first-half penalty, and were hit twice on the break, condemning the side to a fourth loss in seven League games that leaves the side languishing in ninth in Division One.

But aside from the wayward finishing, there was little to reproach the side for here. On the main Phil pitch, now in superb condition, the hosts made a fast start, enjoying plenty of possession and taking the game to a Westminsters side that had begun the day one point and one place below them. Wide men Payne and Atkinson looked threatening throughout, with midfielder George Taylor consistently careering forwards in support in a bid to add to his three goals scored so far this season.

It had been one-way traffic for the opening twenty minutes, but from almost nowhere the visitors snatched the lead, a counter saw the right winger freed and he delivered a low cross into the box allowing the striker to just about knock the ball past keeper Tom Mitchell.

Normal service was resumed almost immediately, with the hosts once more dominating possession and creating chances. The Blues were gifted a golden opportunity to get back on level terms when George Taylor was fouled inside the box and referee Errol Barnett pointed to the spot. Midfielder Jamie Jordache had possessed a 100% record from spot-kicks for the OHAFC, having scored for all three Saturday sides in his relatively short career in old boys football, but he blotted his copybook here, the keeper diving low to his left to palm away the effort. It was to prove the midfielder’s final contribution to the game, with a strained hamstring forcing him off at the break. Fortunately, Kyri Pittalis had persuaded friend Charlie Marlow-Thomas to come along as a substitute and he was badly needed, coming on for his OHAFC debut.

Despite this enforced change, the home side continued to dominate possession and chances after the break, to the extent that an equaliser seemed almost inevitable. Ed Corswarem saw a shot somehow cleared off the line when a goal looked a certainty and he was then foiled by the keeper, who made a miraculous save from close-range. But lightning was to strike twice as, for the second time in the match, the visitors would break quickly, taking advantage of a misplaced Harrow pass to run through and fire into the bottom right corner past a stranded Tom Mitchell.

Infuriatingly, the pattern of the match again resumed almost immediately, with the OHAFC charging forwards in a bid to fight their way back into the game but unable to find their way past a resolute Westminsters back four. Defeat leaves the Blues, somewhat worryingly, in ninth in Division One, albeit well clear of the pointless Lancing Old Boys at the foot of the table. But with a trip to second-placed Old Johnians looming large next Saturday, the OHAFC need to up their efforts once more in a bid to return to winning ways.